Thursday, March 5, 2009

vocab upgrade: Blue Beard by Vonnegut

So, in an attempt to biggen my brain, I have been moving on down my reading list, started a few years ago. Here are some fancy words I came across that I didn't know...and the photos that popped up in flickr when I searched with my new fancy word. Sort of magical really....

Blue Beard by Kurt Vonnegut:

pal⋅pate

1 verb (used with object), -pat⋅ed, -pat⋅ing. to examine by touch, esp. for the purpose of diagnosing disease or illness.


con⋅cu⋅pis⋅cent

–adjective
1. lustful or sensual.
2. eagerly desirous.



a⋅lac⋅ri⋅ty

–noun
1. cheerful readiness, promptness, or willingness: We accepted the invitation with alacrity.
2. liveliness; briskness.



ob⋅se⋅quy

–noun, plural -quies.
1. Usually, obsequies.
a funeral rite or ceremony.

1 comment:

jacob henry said...

concupiscent is one of my favorite words. sounds so clinical!